Monday, June 2, 2014

Last Game

Since I've still got a month to go before school starts, I've been dwelling a lot in the otaku world; I've been reading mangas, watching animes, and looking at comicons in order to pass time. 

I'm currently lurking around at shoujos since I've been reading a lot of serious stuffs too much so I wanted read some fluff ^_^ and I've come across this jewel in the vast choices of mangas you can choose from; a manga called "Last Game".



The initial summary of this story is that this dude named Yanagi, spent the last 10 years of his life being friendzoned by a girl he's been "moony eyed" over since elementary and has just realized it. Like seriously wtf dude, get your game on!


Before I start summarizing in details I'm going to introduce some of the main characters briefly so that it'll be easier to explain the story.

CHARACTERS

Yanagi Hisato
Yanagi Naoto

I'm not really sure what's the proper 'reading' of his name since there's a bit of a confusion going on there. During the first part of manga he was called Hisato but now they're calling him Naoto, but one thing's certain, he's surname is Yanagi so lets just call him that ^_^

Yanagi is our main hero and the dude whose been hung up with the same girl since elementary and been friendzoned somewhere in between. Poor guy. 


Kujou Mikoto
Kujou Hotaru

Again, another problem with the translation so let's just call her Kujou ^_^

Kujou is the girl that's been unknowingly friendzoning our handsome Yanagi-chan. She's really naive, a huge contrast to her cold and apathetic reputation. She's always concerned for her mom so she doesn't have any friends from elementary through highschool so she has a hard time recognizing 'human' actions lol! So she easily mistook Yanagi's advances as friendly gestures!

Damn! I really feel bad for Yanagi!

Souma Hotaru
Souma Kei

Another translation error, so let's call him Souma =.=

One word: Bastard. 

This guy's a bastard, although he's a lovable one so I guess he's a Bastard with a Heart of Gold? Tropers anyone? Anyways, I kinda like his character, though I guess it's just because I have a soft spot for red-heads and he's quite funny.

I also find it funny that he's trying so hard to beat Yanagi, not for Kujou's hand, but for the popularity. He looks at 'Yanagi-sempai' as a rival in popularity and ultimately hates his guts for 'being rich and arrogant while the rest of us work our arse off' but in the end he unexpectedly fell in love with Kujou, so either way he's still Yanagi's rival.

Tachibana Momoka

This girl doesn't have a translation error but since I hate her let's call her whore Tachibana.

This bitch is a faux nice little girl/cute whatever demon. Everybody in the fandom hates her guts. Basically she acts nice and innocent in front of everyone but behind that mask there's conniving little bitch/slut lurking around that motherfuckers ass. Not making any sense but I hate her so it's hardly important. 

I am not kidding when I said nobody likes her

Even when Yanagi point blank rejected her, albeit nicely, she still aims to steal him away from Kujou. I admire her perseverance but seriously, the guys rejected you and admittedly admits that he's been chasing after the same girl for 10 years and have no plans on giving up and your still forcing yourself on him? And now he's forcing Souma to court Kouju even though he said multiple times that he doesn't want to get in between the 'idiotic couple' since he 'don't want to fight in a battle he has no chance winning'. Uh, desperate much?

Fuck this hoe.

Honorary Main Character
because I love her
Fujimoto Shiori

I like calling her Fujimoto-sama since she's that awesome and deserves my respect.

I thought at first she was the love rival of Kujou but instead became her best friend and start matchmaking them, much to Yanagi's relief chagrin.

SHE IS FUCKING AWESOME! \M/

Summary



Yanagi has it all. He's rich, handsome, athletic, skilled, popular; all in all perfect. He's number one at everything and is considered as the unofficial "King" of the school (this is in elementary btw) until Kujou entered his life, or at least transferred to his school.

She beat him at academics and sports with minimal effort, something that never happened before. So Yanagi did the most logical thing ever- made her his rival. They competed through out elementary, middle school, high school and college although it was very one-sided as Kujuo hardly even notices Yanagi's existence. Not once did he even managed a win though. Poor guy.

Until Yanagi thought of the most genius plan of making her fall for him then he'll reject her so at least once he'll triumph over Kujuo. It was brilliant, and admittedly low even by his standards, until he was the one who fell in love. So he lost to her yet again. Poor guy.

The story's still ongoing but this is my not final verdict

Final Verdict

I've read probably hundreds of shoujo mangas but, in my honest opinion, this is one of the best that I have read. Many mangas, especially shoujo ones, suffer from being too fast paced that it's hardly believable and the lack of character development that instead of entertaining the readers, it frustrates them.

I am not saying that this mangas perfect as it still got it's flaws, like the 'fluctuating' character development (ie: Characer develpoment finally happened!; Next chapter back to first square =.=) but the pace of the story is reasonable and I like how that Yanagi is taking it slow with Kujou. 

Kujou is relatively dumb and air-headed for a supposedly 'top 1' of the batch so she's extremely slow at understanding relationships and feelings and I love how chapter by chapter the author is slowly showing us sides of Kujou. I also love how she's not completely emotionless and has no qualms and hesitations in saying whatever she wants much to the frustration of Yanagi.

And I also love how cool-guy Yanagi easily loose his cool when it comes to Kujou and would easily drop anything just for her. Although, I have to say that he has to man up in order to get her affections! 

Anyway, a worthwhile read; I'll give this a 3.5/5 stars for now, as it's still ongoing but this manga has a lot of potential. I think I'm gonna do a chapter by chapter review since I love this one so much, probably tomorrow.



Ciao,

♥ Aly

Disclaimer: This manga is owned by Amano Shinobu and I am in no way related to her. This review of my own opinion and is not meant to offend anyone and I am not being paid to endorse this. I also do not own the pictures in this blog, they belong to their respective owners and is simply being used as illustrations in this blog.






2 comments:

  1. Ok would have really appreciated such an article EXCEPT I COULD NOT. 1. It deserves 5/5 stars in my opinion but that's beside the point. 2. Idk maybe you didn't read it enough before you wrote this article and that's why you haven't given it a high rating, but OMFG his name is NOT F-ing "YAGANI" it's YANAGI. Yanagi also happens to be a pretty common Japanese name. And that is why my entire experience was ruined because it was spelled like that throughout the WHOLE rest of the article besides the beginning and I'm in a bad mood now. Sayonara. Please learn names properly before reviewing mangas and sorry if I'm being a bitch but I was really bothered. Gomen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a Chiil pill bro
      I'll make sure to change the spelling, totally didn't spot that minor spelling error! I had mild dyslexia as a kid so forgive that little spelling error! (..but I did spelt it right in the first part lol!) :D
      I gave it a 3.5/5 since the story isn't finished yet so its a bit unfair to judge and give it a perfect score so I reserve my final verdict until the story is finished but recent chapters is getting really interesting with Kujou finally realizing her feelings for Yanagi, but everybody deserves their own opinion ^^
      No offense taken :D
      Thanks for the comment though

      Delete

Thank You for Visiting!