Thursday, October 12, 2017

Life Update + Art

Hey... its been a while.

I know I haven't updated in almost a year and half; I have nothing to say but... college happened. I'm in my 4th year of studying Architecture in UST and suffice to say that its been keeping me busy.

Its quite surprising how it seems like only yesterday I was updating about my first day of college and here I am writing about me and my mid-college crisis.


Its funny how back then I was so naive thinking going go to art school is gonna make more creative, inspired and better my craft and its gonna be all rainbows and sunshine, but here I am 4 years later stressed, unmotivated, and uninspired. I wanna call it depression but I can't just drop clinical terms like that- I honestly wanna go to psychiatrist already and have someone to talk to about stress management.

I recently went across my old art works from high school and I just realized how creative I was back then and I want to get my groove back. Seriously, I expected to be better in college but honestly my creativity regressed a lot. I'm just stressing a lot with AUSAT, Thesis, internship and graduating coming right up in the corner in a few years time. 

I've been looking a lot depression stories and how they get up from their slump and all of them said to do something that you always wanted to do or to get a new hobby. I decided to get back to drawing things besides from academic required plates- just to divert my attention and so that my life just doesn't revolve around college and academics.

Temptation
Alyana Drua (c) 2017

This is just some fast 30 minute watercolor I did for Humanities class since I haven't done anything worth posting in a while; this is just an introduction to my new self-improvement project! Oplan: Be Better than I am Today! This is just to bring my mojo back on and bring all the motivation I lost during college. 

I haven't done watercolors in while now since I've got sick of them since during 1st and 2nd year we keep on doing watercolor plates that I just want a break from them, but now I just wanna do something for myself, instead of school since I realized that I keep giving myself to academics that I literally have nothing left for myself.

Anyways, this is actually just a redo art of mine. The original was done during my second year of college- I put it in a portfolio of mine during my interview for the creatives department in an org I joined back then. Its such a bummer that they didn't bother returning it- I really liked those paintings I sent to them- fortunately they only required 2 works so I only lost those 2 I sent them- still a bummer though.

The original is actually 10x way better than this one but I gotta do what I gotta do in the short time allotted to us in class. 

I called this art Temptation and its highly inspired by Death Note- one of my all time favourite manga/anime of all time. The apple has a bruised colouring since I wanted to show how Light Yagami viewed the world as rotten- esp. with the gradiation of the colors from red to black and how the shadow is also getting "corrupted". Its also because how the Bible depicts the Apple as the forbidden fruit and how the serpent tempted Eve to commit the original sin the same way Light Yagami swayed Ryuk the Shinigami's favor, no matter how indirect, towards his side. The paint splatters are symbolizing the blood spilled because of the evils of Death Note cause I like to be edgy.

Anyways I also decided to join Inktober- I know I'm like 12 days late but I'm still participating at my own phase- esp. since my plate is still yet to be done.

For those who don't know, Inktober is an art initiative/festival done every October. This was started by a guy named Jake Parker who wanted to better his inking skills back in 2009- and it had quite the following since it had become a must awaited month by artists all over the world. The rules are pretty simple- just draw something in ink and post it online with the caption #inktober or #inktober2017

Just this 2016 it finally had an official prompt list- which is awesome since people can finally have an official list to follow and comparing and sharing with other artists will be more convenient. I personally would be doing my works in mixed medium since the whole point of the event is to better your skills and I wanna improve in a bunch of mediums instead of just one. 

Anyways that's it!
See ya!

Ciao,

♥ Aly

Materials Used:
- Cason A4 200gsm Watercolor Paper
- Sakura Koi Watercolors: Pocket Field Sketch Box
- Tokyo Finds Waterbrush Pen Round Tip in Medium
- Good ol' Monggol #2 Pencil
- Muji .38 Black Pen
- Toothbrush

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Visiting!